The IKEAhusbil uses as a basis, the form of the typically American cab-over camper. This structure exemplifies the uniquely American mythos rooted in our identification with the pioneering spirit and independence, coupled with Utopian/Dystopian duality of the of freedom, exploration, and self-sufficiency. The American democracy has however, lead to global roguishness, cowboy politics, a lack of effective public policy such as universal healthcare. The camper is clad in cardboard, a recyclable and sustainable material. The humble packaging references the common building material of shelters erected by the homeless, a possible end result of social isolation in a failed system.
Finally, the camper is branded with the IKEA logo. IKEA is the most recognized symbol of Sweden. But more than a global corporation offering “well designed, functional home furnishing products” at affordable prices, IKEA operates under a particular ideology of politics and practice, while exporting and having products produced in the global marketplace. The IKEAhusbil was inspired after a visit to Stockholm in 2009 and exposure to a Social Democracy firsthand. Known as the Nordic Model, a mixed market economy welfare state focused on ensuring basic human rights and individual autonomy.
The Nordic Model has three major elements, providing social security, universal health care, and free education. Education encouraging social mobility, while social security and health care promotes a high minimum standard of living for all its citizens. As with all systems there are problems with a Social Democracy, the basic tenets seem to treat its citizens with respect and basic human dignity, improving the overall quality of life for all. All boats rise with tide. While not a perfect stand-in for a Social Democracy, IKEA tries to follow many of the same ideologies in its business practices. The IKEAhusbil meets at the intersection of better living through design and social/individual responsibility in the global arena.
In general, contemporary social democrats support:
* A mixed economy consisting of both private enterprise and publicly owned or subsidized programs of education, universal health care, child care and related social services for all citizens.
* An extensive system of social security (although usually not to the extent advocated by socialists), with the stated goal of counteracting the effects of poverty and insuring the citizens against loss of income following illness, unemployment or retirement.
* Government bodies that regulate private enterprise in the interests of workers and consumers by ensuring labor rights (i.e. supporting worker access to trade unions), consumer protections, and fair market competition.
* Environmentalism and environmental protection laws; for example, funding for alternative energy resources and laws designed to combat global warming.
* A value-added/progressive taxation system to fund government expenditures.
* A secular and a socially progressive policy.
* Immigration and multiculturalism.
* Youth rights and lowring the voting age.
* Fair trade over free trade
* A foreign policy supporting the promotion of democracy, the protection of human rights and where possible, effective multilateralism.
* Advocacy of social justice, human rights, social rights, civil rights and civil liberties.
(courtesy of wikipedia)